Veteran Journalist Buried In An Emotional Sendoff


It was an emotional sendoff of a veteran journalist who was buried in Bungoma County.

John Muganda (55) who was buried in Kibisi village, Mbakalo ward, Tongareni constituency in Bungoma county over the weekend was eulogized as a great scribe who inspired the society through his work.

Friends and relatives described the deceased as a person who never shied off and wrote bold stories which shaped the society.

Former UNCTAD Secretary General Mukhisa Kituyi eulogized him as a great writer who used his pen very well in highlighting stories that changed the community.

“I was priveleged to have worked with Muganda, he was a fearless journalist who was never intimidated or threatened in the course of his duty, he never sugarcoated issues but wrote them the way it was,” said Kituyi.

Senate Speaker Ken Lusaka said that Muganda was a journalist who strictly adhered to media ethics and code of conduct and was never swayed by anybody.

“He was a man of few words and could write stories fearlessly, he was very bold in his profession,” he said.

Tongaren Mp Eseli Simiyu described the late scribe as a man who was passionate about his work and always wrote the truth.

“As we bury him today let’s remember his family, we will use bursary kitty to help educate his children,” he said.

Bungoma County Deputy Governor Prof.Charles Ngome stated that Journalists are the society’s mirror and as such Muganda played a vital role with his profession.

“Majority scribes suffered a great deal during the Nyayo chambers era, they were tortured for righting stories that exposed the rot in government, Muganda was amongst them,” he said.

He died on November 3, 2021 at Bungoma County Referral Hospital. Muganda died after suffering from High sugar level and was also diabetic.

The deceased was admitted at the medical facility where he was taken to the Intensive Care Unit with breathing difficulties but was discharged and was taken to the private wing where he was responding well to medication.

“He started having difficult breathing problems and had swollen feet, efforts by Doctors to resuscitate him were futile and he passed on,” said a family source who asked for anonymity.

Until his demise he was a correspondent with the Weekly Citizen newspaper, he previously worked with the Standard Newspaper, Sunday Express and before then he worked with the defunct Kenya times newspaper during the late President Arap Moi tenure. 

He leaves behind one wife and three children. 


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here