By Tsyamba Isaac
Friends Moi Boys high school Kaptama in Mt Elgon Constituency, Bungoma County has been closed indefinitely for unknown period following students unrest.
Earlier on Monday morning the Students engaged in peaceful demonstrations from the school to the DCC and education office in Kapsokwony complaining of mistreatment by the school deputy principal Christopher Nzabayi.
“The deputy deals with us like criminals, with no respect to our parents and we demand that he be transferred from our school immediately for the betterment of this institution,” a student said.
They also blamed the deputy principal for being responsible for the dropping of thr academic levels in the school following his terrible relationship with students, parents, teachers, and the junior staff.
After a long consultative meeting with education stakeholders in the region, they decided the school be closed immediately until further notice.
“We have resolved form one to form three to go home until further notice but since form fours are sitting for their joint exams they will have to remain in school and continue with their examination and revision for their national exams,” said the school principal Tobias Otieno.
Area Assistant County Commissioner Patrick Rotino while addressing the form fours urged them to remain calm since their grievances have been heard and action will be taken soon.
“We are addressing your issues and we promise to come up with a lasting solution so please be disciplined we are here for you,” said Rotino.
The Kenya secondary school heads association chairman Mt Elgon sub-county Mr. Cheshari Kimtai lauded the students for airing out their grievances in a sober way and reminded them to put more effort into their studies.
On the other hand, the sub-county director of education Mr. Etyang Donald appreciated the students for not destroying the school property at the same time criticizing them for wasting a whole day that would otherwise be used for the preparation of the final exam as he guaranteed them that an action will be taken soon.
It should be understood that two days ago the area Mp Fred Kapondi officially launched a dining hall that had been torched following students unrest.