A former Ford Kenya Kabuchai constituency parliamentary aspirant has announced to vie for the seat in the coming by-election as an Independent candidate.
Peter Werunga Kapanga said the decision for him to vie as an Independent candidate was informed by the infighting in the Lion party that would favour his rival during the nominations.
Addressing the press, Kapanga said that he is willing to lead Kabuchai people but favouritism in Ford Kenya party during the January 5, 2021 is likely to lock him out.
“To all my supporters, I am going to the ballot as an Independent candidate, the decision was reached after a longtime consultation with my family, clan and some opinion shapers,” he said.
Kapanga who unsuccessfully vied for the Kabuchai Parliamentary seat but defeated by the late Mp James Lusweti now joins Evans Kakai to vie as independent candidates.
Kakai has the blessings of the Deputy President William Ruto.
Kapanga states that based on his development projects that speaks volumes, he can better the lives of Kabuchai people if voted in.
‘I have built water springs, sunk boreholes, paid school fees for bright but needy students, fundraised for churches and boda boda groups, settled fees for the sick in hospitals and contributed for small scale business people including Mama mbogas,” he said.
He is one of the industrious men who have contributed back to the society using their minimal resources.
The Kabuchai Parliamentary by-election is slated for March 4, 2022 as announced by Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC).
Kabuchai constituency Ford Kenya Chairman who is also the Chwele/Kabuchai MCA Barasa Mukhongo announced that the nomination that will be free and fair and they will support the winner.
“We are a free and fair party and will conduct the nomination in a transparent way on January 5, 2021,” he said.
The ward leader dismissed reports that the party has already settled on one candidate to square it out with others in the by election.
“So far we have reports from Majimbo Kalasinga and Nakuru deputy county commissioner Erick Wanyonyi, we will notify you of any other aspirant who would join us before the nominations,” he said.
Dr.Juma Mukhwana pulled out of the Parliamentary contest after allegedly learning of the planned rigging which would have favoured his rival.
Mukhwana contested for the Bungoma senatorial seat in 2017 on Jubilee ticket but was defeated by Ford Kenya party leader Moses Wetang’ula.
Reports also indicate that Ford Kenya Bungoma County youth chairman Allan Wochwa as written to the party election board and paid Sh100,000 so as to participate in the nomination stage.
Others who have announced to fight for the seat include Gaspar Wafubwa among others.
Mukwe succumbed to Arthritis at Nairobi hospital on December 4, 2020 and was buried on December 19 at his home in Sanandiki village near Chwele market in Bungoma Central Sub County.